Monday, July 4, 2011

My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Happy Fourth of July!!  In honor of the brave, I thought I'd share an American favorite!

EVERYONE has their favorite cookie recipe...or at least remains on the search for their favorite.  I have only recently become a fan of baking.  And baking cookies was a FAIL time and time again.  Then I stumbled upon a recipe that changed my view of homemade, fresh out of the oven, made from scratch cookies.  Nabisco, I've moved on. 

It all started from a post here on Yesterday on Tuesday. That would be the blog, Yesterday on Tuesday, not a reference to time.  I loved the idea of making my own oat flour and began my adventure into Chocolate Chip recipe perfection. 

I kept trying different things until not only am I able to repeat the recipe again and again (I'm bad about noting what I do when I tweak recipes), but I am confident to share with the world my version.  So, if you think you are not a baker, think again.  This recipe is for you! 

Start with the oats.  Oats + Blender = Oat Flour

Sweet , soft oat flour.  Makes me feel good about eating cookies. 
We all need some fiber don't we?


Add other flour, baking soda & powder, and salt.  Blend.
I love my Blender.  It has found a permanent home on my counter...and that's a good thing.  I don't like a lot of appliances on the counter. 

Cream butter and sugars together.  This is where the good for you ends.
But your family will love you...and that makes it all OK. 

Again, blender comes in handy.  The pouring spout on the blender makes the flour slide in nice and smooth.  No poofs of flour powder everywhere!  Just remember to turn the mixer on low as the flour goes in. 

My Cookie scoop.  I spray my scoop with non stick spray several times throughout the scooping process.  When the dough begins to stick, I wipe out the scoop and spray with non stick cooking spray...and scoop again. 

I also spray my pan each time I take baked cookies off and add new scoops.

My cookie mounds.  Must remind myself every time, the more cookie dough I eat now, the less cookies we have to eat later.  Yes, I know I know...raw eggs, could end badly.  I just can't resist cookie dough! YUM!

Bake at 375 for approx. 12 min.  Some days my oven does this in 12 min.  Some days its 13 min.  The key is to look for the "just turning brown" stage.  The peaks and edges of the cookies will be golden brown, but not the entire cookie.  Bake any longer, and your cookies will be hard. 

Hot, gooey cookies, fresh from the oven.  You must resist the temptation to eat now.  They still have 5 min of baking to do as they rest.  Trust me...I've done it.  Their gooey.  Let them do their thing.  It's good for them, and you learn patience. 



Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oat Flour
Printable Recipe Here

This makes anywhere from 2 - 3 dozen cookies...depending on size of your scoops!

2 ½ cups oats (old fashion)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
non stick cooking spray


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  

Blend oats in  blender or food processor until powder like substance.  You now have oat flour.  
Add white flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Pulse blender few times to mix.  


In bowl of mixer, cream butter.  Add both sugars and mix well.  Add eggs and vanilla, mix well.  Set mixer to low speed, and slowly add flour mixture.  Pick up mixer speed to medium and mix until combined well.  Add chocolate chips and walnuts.  Mix well.

Spray cookie sheets with non stick spray.  Spray cookie scoop with spray.  Scoop dough into mounds on sprayed cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 for 12 min.  (more or less depending on oven and cookie mound size)  When cookies are just turning golden, remove from oven.  Allow to rest on pan for 5 minutes then move to cooling rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...